Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Song Remembers When...

Isn't it amazing how the mind works? Earlier today, I was in the kitchen, loading the dishwasher and listening to the radio. A song came on the radio and instantly I was taken back in time, to a place of fun, innocence, and young love. I could even smell the grass from the backyard. The memory was this...My sister and I were outside playing, it was late spring, the year I turned 13.



Ahh, 13, what and interesting year that is for anyone to live through! Anyway, I had a little radio that my Daddy had given me. It was in the shape of a Coca-Cola bottle and you turned the bottle neck end to increase the volume and the bottom of the bottle to change the stations. I still have that radio, somewhere. The sun was warm on my face and the grass smelled sweet. We lived close to a creek branch and you could even smell the water.


The song that came on was a song from the movie Urban Cowboy, which by the way I wasn't allowed to see at the time, because of my age. My Mama said that the movie was totally inapproiate. (and she was right) ha!! But I did know the song. It was sung by Johnny Lee. The part of the song, I loved the most, was the chorus....

I was looking for love in all the wrong places
Looking for love in too many faces
Searching their eyes looking for traces
Of what I'm dreaming of
Hoping to find a friend and a lover
I'll bless the day I discover
Another heart looking for love.....
Of course, being 13, I didn't get much out of all the lyrics...but I did understand the Looking for love part. Ahhh...young unrequited love!! It makes me laugh now that I think about it. There was this boy, and well let's just say I was a shy 13 year-old girl!! And I bet those of you reading this that are my friends from Jr. High, can't even guess who this boy was..


But you know, now that I am writing this post I think of another scenario, for these words of this song. How many of us, go out looking for something, anything, to make us feel, loved or cherished? We search everywhere, except we often miss the one place we should be looking. The love I am talking about, is an immeasurable love, that knows no bounds. The love of Jesus! He loves us soooo much. No matter how horrible we can be!



Just think how much our Heavenly Father loves us..

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world (you and me) that He gave his only Son, so that everyone (you and me) who believes in him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life"


That my friends is a whole lotta LOVE!! So if you're out there, searching everywhere for love, Look to the Heavenly Father, and He will provide you with all you need.
I even think it's pretty cool how my mind has been able to get to John 3:16 from a country western song!! God surely has done that. He is good...All the time.. Amen...

Everyone have a blessed afternoon. Love ya, Renee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for the sweet comments you left me about my signs! I just read thru your blog. LOVE IT! The post about your Daddy made me tear up. Bless your heart! But like you said, you KNOW he loved you, what an awesome feeling to have. I just became a follower of your blog. I'll be talking with you again!
Hope you win the drawing at Tim's site. I am going to post more signs tomorrow on my blog. Be sure and check them out!!
Take care!

Claremont First Ward said...

I love how songs can take you back and revive memories.

Unknown said...

Amen sister. There is no comparison to Jesus' love - and so many do look for love in all the wrong places.

Thanks for joining in this week. It was fun reading about your memories and especially about your love for Jesus. :)