Sunday, January 25, 2009

"Stop & Smell the Roses"

Recently we spent a month in Pensacola Beach, FL. We were there for Phillip's work, but we also took time out to just rest and relax and enjoy one another, and be with God. There were times when I would simply sit and take in the beauty of the beach and ocean. All God's creation. The sunrise and sunset all of God's handy work. However when I stopped to think about it, I didn't have to go to the beach to see God or to view his handy work. I see it everywhere, if I only stop to look. My mother-in-law drove that point home, she said to me that she has never seen a sunrise or a sunset. I said "how can that be?" She said she never takes the time to look, she is always to busy. She is always flitting about, cleaning up, straightening up, but never taking the time to stop and see the beauty of God's world or to listen for His voice. How can we be too busy for God? I know it happens often, but our world is so beautiful, if only we would "Stop and smell the roses".

I look at the snow as it is falling and it is so beautiful. It takes my breath away. You can hear God' whisper while standing at the window and watching the snow fall. He says "Be still and know that I am God" Psalms 46:10. If we stop and take the time, we can see God's beauty in our children's faces, and in the joy of living. I know there are times that I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders, that I do forget to simply be still and listen for God's voice.

It is so easy to not see the beauty of the world, when we are watching the nightly news. I try not to watch the news. It depresses me. It stills my joy. So as a busy week approaches us all, please remember to "Stop and smell the roses" and see God's beauty in all we do. That is my prayer for each of you.

No comments: